Montag, 12. Oktober 2009

About this Blog

Have you ever heard of Knut Hamsun? Grazia Deledda? Giorgios Seferis? Nagib Mahfuz? (If you have - that's great! You don't need to read on though.)
If you haven't - you're in company!
They have something in common with John Steinbeck, Jean-Paul Sartre, G.B. Shaw and 99 others - they all won the Nobel Prize for Literature at some point.

How come we know and revere some of them, and completely forgot about the others? Is there a such thing as timelessness when it comes to literature which some works have and others don't? Are all works that once were named the "most outstanding work in an ideal direction" still accessible, profitable in one way or another?

Now I don't know a lot about literature except that I'm fond of reading and I've done so a bit, and that's exactly what I'm going to do. I'll read every work the price has been awarded to up till now and see what I think. Are you with me?

The rules are:
- I'll read a book of every of the Nobel Prize for Literature Laureates, in chronological order.
- If the prize is awarded for a specific work, or a specific work is mentioned in the announcement, that's the pick. If the prize is awarded for life's work, I'll try and choose something representative, I'll use critics and literary reviews to figure it out.
- I'll read the books in the original language if I know it and can get hold of a copy in the original language. I'll read an english or german translation if I can't.
- If I've read the work already, I can leave it out. If I've read a translation even though I'm fluent in the language, I'll read it again in the original version.
- If, in a given year, two prices have been awarded, I'll read a book of each author.
- I'll blog about it! One post per book.

See you around!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen